Monday, April 1, 2013

Dining Out

One of the biggest concerns my parents had when they visited Scotland was "are we going to find enough to eat?"  My parents aren't very adventurous eaters and were concerned that the food was going to be weird and different.  This concern coincides with a concern of friends about the cost of going out to eat.  I've had friends who wanted a traditional experience without paying high, touristy costs.  My favorite place to take friends and family is a restaurant near the University called Mums Great Comfort Food.

Monster Mash, now Mums Great Comfort Food, specializes in a British favorite - bangers and mash - which is traditionally fried sausage served on mashed potatoes covered in gravy.  My family loves the restaurant because the food is traditional yet recognizable, and my friends love it because it's inexpensive.  I love the fact that I can take anyone to Mums and get great, local food for a good price.  Mum's menu features different types of sausages and mashed potatoes for mix matching, and with soup included, your lunch bill will be £6.00.  They also offer more traditional mains and vegetarian menu items so you can bring anyone here.  

If you're looking for something a bit more upscale, yet not to scary for newcomers, I recommend the Garden Cafe in the Scottish National Gallery.  It has a great lunch and dinner menu and they also have many seasonal events featuring local specialties.  The Garden Cafe has the added benefit of being on the mound in the National Gallery so if you're looking for a day out you can combine a great gallery with a really good meal.  If you're a more adventurous eater there are plenty of great options.  I prefer Indian food when visiting the UK but there are so many options it gives everyone a great chance to try something new.  


No comments:

Post a Comment